quote: When you lose sense of reality and live in a fantasy world that you’ve created, you may end up with an unhealthy addiction that will have you always needing more.
Can you really be addicted to sex!?!
There are some that think sex is just OK and a part of life, some love it and go for it every chance they get, and there are some that simply become obsessed, where it actually takes over their lives and well-being. How do you know when you’ve gone from a sexually charged person to an addict that can’t live without it?
Here are five warning signs that you may be a sex addict:
1. Sexual addicts seem to masturbate much more than the average person. It doesn’t matter if you are a male or female, but how often you find yourself having to masturbate just to function. Masturbation can surely be a healthy thing for both you and your partner, but there is a fine line when masturbation becomes and obsession.
2. People who are addicted to sex are often unfaithful. I don’t mean to stereotype, but most of the time this is true. People who are addicted to sex really don’t care what they are jeopardizing to get what they want.
3. One-night stands can become a regular occurrence for people who are committed or not.
4. Persistent use of pornography. Most people with sexual obsessions must be aroused at all times. They find that when not hooking up with others or masturbating, they may even need another form of arousal.
5. Last but not least, the biggest sign that you may be a sex addict is the use of prostitutes. When you can’t seem to curb your own cravings and desires and you start actually paying for it, this is an addiction. If getting a prostitute seems OK and becomes a common occurrence, then your addiction has escalated and you should probably seek help.
Along with obvious signs of sexual addiction come both emotional and physical symptoms of it:
Emotional Symptoms of Sex Addiction
If you are addicted to sex, you may feel alienated, isolated, depressed, angry, or humiliated and need treatment yourself. If you are addicted to sex, you might become easily involved with people sexually or emotionally regardless of how well you know them. Since most sex addicts fear abandonment, they might stay in relationships that aren’t healthy, or they may jump from relationship to relationship.
Physical Symptoms of Sex Addiction
Although a sex addiction or pornography addiction can create many physical side effects, few physical symptoms of this disorder exist. However, the most common physical sex addict symptoms you might notice from having a sexual addiction is feeling immobilized due to sexual or emotional obsessions.
Sex is a very healthy act and I encourage it, but it’s just like everything else and should be in moderation. When you lose sense of reality and live in a fantasy world that you’ve created, you may end up with an unhealthy addiction that will have you always needing more.
If you have a story, comment or question you would like to share with BTS, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org